Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the Office of Student Conduct? The Office of Student Conduct is part of the Division of Student Affairs at Florida Memorial University. Our Mission is to create an effective living and learning environment by designing policies such as the Student Conduct Code, which provides a disciplinary process and conducting programs that foster ethical development, personal accountability and civility toward others.
  2. What are the services offered to students? For the convenience students, the Office of Conduct Affairs provides: Workshops for students and student organizations on issues such as hazing, sexual assault, drug and alcohol use and other at-risk behaviors, advice to students on issues and about student related policies including the Student Conduct Code and handouts the help clarify prohibited behaviors under the Student Conduct Code.
  3. Can a parent or guardian be given any information about his/her daughter or son? According to federal regulations, the son or daughter must sign a release of information before it is legal to share information about the case in question with a parent or guardian.
  4. Are criminal charges the same as Student Conduct Code charges? No, the Office of Conduct Affairs relies on the standard of ‘preponderance of the evidence and the Student Conduct Code. Criminal charges rely on the standard of ‘beyond a reasonable doubt and statues created by law.
  5. What takes place if the student does not show up for his or her hearing? The hearing proceeds without the student. The Conduct Review Board (CRB) reviews the charges, decides whether the student was in violation of the Student Conduct Code and issues sanctions, if appropriate.
  6. Why does the Office of Conduct Affairs sanction students? It is the goal of the Office to turn infractions of the Code into an educational experience and to promote positive behavior as a personal responsibility. The Office tries to use a restorative justice philosophy, when appropriate.
  7. How can I make a complaint? Any person may file a complaint against a student or organization for misconduct. This can be done through our online reporting component, an official report from Campus Safety and/or a report submitted through the department of Residential Life. The complaint must be prepared in writing, signed and directed to the Division of Student Affairs. All complaints should be submitted as soon as a possible after the event takes place.
  8. What are my rights as a student? As a private institution of higher education, Florida Memorial University (FMU) seeks to advance knowledge promote scholarship and create an environment conducive to the intellectual and personal growth and development of all of students. In keeping with these aims, the University recognizes the student rights detailed in the Student Conduct Code.
  9. What if I was not aware of a rule and I didn’t know I was responsible? Lack of knowledge of a rule is not an excuse for misconduct. Every student is responsible for knowing the rules and regulations of the university, so it is important for you to read the Student Handbook. If you are unsure about any polices, please ask for clarification.
  10. What will happen if I don’t complete my sanctions? If a student is found responsible for violating the Student Conduct Code and fails to respond to directions from the Student Conduct Officer relative to completing a sanctions (s), a disciplinary hold may be placed on the said students’ account. This hold will prohibit a student from moving forward on any university process including registration. In addition, the student may be held responsible even if they do not attend the meeting.
  11. Who can I talk to if I have questions about the Student Conduct Code? For procedural and general advice, you may consult the University website or contact the Office of Conduct Affairs located in the JC Sam’s Student Center.

For more information, please contact Student Affairs at (305) 626-3722.